This post happens to fall on something of a special day. Today the biggest football grudge match in England will be staged at Old Trafford- Man Utd versus Liverpool. These two teams sit equal atop all time English top division trophy list, both having won 18 titles each, which shows just how close this rivalry really is.
Here are some of the facts born from this long standing rivalry....
- There have been 179 fixtures between the teams with United winning 69, Liverpool 60 and 50 drawn matches.
- This fixture is Sir Alex's 49th versus Liverpool and he has won 21, lost 16 and drawn 11 since he has been in charge.
Facts that tell a tale....
- There have been 6 yellow cards in the last 7 meetings between these sides.
- Only 1 of the last 20 league fixtures between the sides has been drawn.
- Liverpool have one only one of their last 11 away games while United have failed to win 1 in only the last 13 at home.
- 23 March 2008- Old Trafford- MUFC 3-0 LFC
- 13 September 2008- Anfield- LFC 2-1 MUFC
- 14 March 2009- Old Trafford- MUFC 1-4 LFC
- 25 October 2009- Anfield- LFC 2-0 MUFC
- 21 March 2010- Old Trafford- MUFC 2-1 LFC
These results show how varied the results between these two teams can be and these were all games in the Premier League! Expect more of the same today.
My final thought for the game today is that I have decided to watch the game today with a Liverpool fan. Usually this wouldn't be too much of a worry me except for the fact that the last two times I have watched with him United have lost (including. I must add, the embarrassing 4-1 defeat at home). Its not that I'm feel particularly lucky today but I'm all for taking risks...
It's up to the boys on the pitch now. I'm sure they will do their best to help me break this mini-curse. Come on United!!
By Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment